Fox’s hit reality/cooking show MasterChef Junior has quickly become one of my favorite shows to watch on Thursday nights. There was nothing I loved more when I was a kid than getting off the bus after school and cooking for my grandma and grandpa, so it’s just inspiring for me to watch these young kids between the ages of 8 – 13 live their dreams in the kitchen!
Talented cook, Adam Wadhwani is one of my favorites, and not just because he’s from my hometown of Sacramento, California! He always cooks up the most amazing meals. MasterChef Junior and Adam Wadhwani were kind enough to share Adam’s amazing spring inspired chicken Kiev with asparagus recipe with me, and I’m so excited to share it with you too! This dish is perfect for dinner with the family or a small dinner party.
Please be sure to scroll down for Adam’s amazing chicken Kiev with asparagus recipe, and don’t forget to watch MasterChef Junior on Fox on Thursday at 8/7c. Enjoy!
Chicken Kiev with Asparagus (feeds 4)
4 chicken breasts
1 stick of butter
1 bunch parsley
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Salt and pepper
1 bunch asparagus
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
· Line a cutting board with plastic wrap. Place chicken breast on plastic and fold the plastic over the top of the chicken breast. Use a mallet to beat down and thin out the chicken breast.
· Use a mortar and pestle to beat together the butter, garlic, and parsley into a paste, with some salt and pepper.
· Put 2-3 tablespoons of the paste in the middle of the thinned out chicken breast and wrap the breast around it, so that it forms a ball. Wrap tightly with the plastic wrap. Repeat with the other chicken breasts. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
· In the interim beat the eggs in a bowl and lay out the flour and bread crumbs on plates. Also use the time to prepare a starch of choice, such as rice or mashed potatoes.
· After 30 minutes, unwrap the chicken and seal the folds with toothpicks so that the butter, garlic, and parsley mixture does not leak out. Coat the chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs. Place in a deep fryer or a small pot with oil and rotate until golden brown on each side. Take out of the oil and put on a baking sheet. Repeat with the other chicken breasts. Place tray in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes to finish cooking the chicken.
· Wash the asparagus. Sautee in some butter and salt and pepper until just done.
· When the chicken is ready, plate it on a bed of rice or potatoes, and place 3-4 pieces of asparagus next to it.
· Ready to eat!