Eco-friendly newlyweds Carter Oosterhouse of HGTV and Amy Smart of Showtime's "Shameless" have partnered with Schick Xtreme3 Eco to launch Project ReMAKE "a contest that challenges consumers to reuse common disposable items and reduce waste by creating a functional item out of recycled materials." You might say Carter and Amy are pros when it comes to living environmentally friendly or "green" – their September 2011 wedding in Michigan was so eco-friendly they managed to collect only one bag of trash with over 200 guests! How amazing is that in itself?
For inspiration, see below for Amy & Carter’s top 5 eco-friendly ways to spruce up your home and your lifestyle:
1. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle! It may seem obvious, but consider this: When you throw away an aluminum can you waste as much energy as if you’d filled the can half full of gasoline and poured it into the ground. What’s more, that aluminum could make a great holiday ornament!
2. Fresh Coat: Instead of discarding an old piece of furniture, try giving it a fresh coat of paint. You’ll be surprised at the difference it can make!
3. Support Sustainability: Making a conscious effort to buy products that have already been recycled can go a long way. For instance, Schick estimates they’ll be saving 15,500 pounds of virgin paper from going into landfills each year by using recycled paper in the packaging of the new Xtreme3 Eco razor.
4. Repurpose: Turn an old door into a chic coffee table, a headboard or a piece of art. Don’t discard old or broken items, repurpose them!
5. Have Fun: Don’t take yourself too seriously when DIY decorating. Experiment with colors, materials, shapes and sizes. Remember: if you made it, it’s one-of-a-kind!
For more information and to enter the ReMAKE contest, visit, www.facebook.com/schickxtreme3 or www.makezine.com/project-remake.
Images and video courtesy of Schick Xtreme3 Eco