Shopping for the perfect holiday gift can be a struggle, especially when you’re searching for the hottest toy for the kid in your life. Toys are a great gift, but there’s one present they’ll enjoy for years to come, and that’s the gift of reading. Books are a wonderful holiday gift for kids of all ages.
This week DK Publishing Editorial Director, Nancy Ellwood joined me for an interview to share a few great books for kids of all ages. If your child loves American Girl, learning about new cultures, times in history, technology or a new craft, they will love the books Nancy mentioned.
Please be sure to watch the video below to see my interview with editorial director Nancy Ellwood in its entirety. I made sure and listed the books she mentioned during the interview below along with additional information about each title. For more information on these books and more, please visit DK.com. Thank you and happy holidays!
DK Publishing’s Editorial Director Nancy Ellwood Shares The Top Books for Kids This Holiday Season!
Travel the world, learn about new cultures and times in history with these titles:
- The 20th anniversary edition of Children Just Like Me: This very popular books takes young readers on an exciting journey around the world to explore everyday life through the eyes and words of real-life children just like themselves. Unlike other books on the subject, the children who appear in Children Just Like Me use their own words to discuss everyday routines, share stories of friends and family, and compare likes and dislikes, and by doing so reveal to young readers the many ways they are different and the many ways they are the same, no matter where they live. For each copy of Children Just Like Me sold in the United States, DK will donate a new, age-appropriate book to a child in need.
- American Girl: The Ultimate Visual Guide: this fully illustrated reference book tells the fascinating story of American Girl, from the original idea conceived by educator and entrepreneur Pleasant T. Rowland to the development of its bestselling doll lines including Truly Me™, Girl of the Year™, Bitty Baby™, and the classic historical character line BeForever™. This is the only comprehensive non-fiction guide on the iconic American Girl dolls, filled with never-before-published anecdotes from the American Girl team and insider information about how the dolls are created, from concept to market.
Invent, Investigate and have fun during the holiday break with these hands-on activity books:
- Maker Lab: Using objects found around the house or in the kitchen, guided step-by-step instructions make it easy to start learning the wonders and whys of science. Produced in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institution, kids can build, create, invent, and discover 28 awesome experiments and activities. When kids take a hands-on, do-it-yourself approach to learning and play, they gain valuable creativity and innovation skills, and support academic learning in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). The emphasis on Maker and STEM education has grown dramatically in the last few years, and Maker Lab is a valuable resource for adapting educators and curious kids alike.
- Animals of the World Coloring Book features 35 expertly and accurately hand-drawn animals shown in their natural habitats throughout the world with fun facts about each species. From a chameleon to a tiger to a bald eagle, color as creatively as you choose or use the inside-cover photographs of the animals as a reference.
Inquisitive Minds want to know!
- Super Cool Tech is the latest in the award-winning “How Cool Stuff Works” series, which explores how incredible new technologies are shaping the modern world and its future, from familiar smartwatches and hoverboards to intelligent, driverless cars and towering skyscrapers. Featuring a silver laptop-inspired cover and an innovative format where the entire book is read vertically, it is sure to keep young tech-savvy readers marveling at the world of technology.
- My Encyclopedia of Very Important Things is the perfect first reference book for that younger child, ages 5-9. Bursting with fun facts, adorable illustrations, stunning photography, and educational games, it covers a big world of discovery exploring animals, people, and planets. Learn what happens when you skin your knee. Meet vegetarian dinosaurs, fluffy pets, and big blue whales. Explore the past with cavemen, Vikings, and pharaohs.
Video: Watch Candace Rose interview DK Publishing’s Editorial Director Nancy Ellwood on the top books for kids this holiday season!
Nancy Ellwood BIO: In her position as Editorial Director at DK, Nancy Ellwood plays a pivotal role in deciding which topics DK publishes for all adult and children’s titles, keeping her eye out for new trends and formats that will resonate with readers, especially kids.
Sponsor: DK Publishing. Candace Rose was not compensated by the sponsor for this interview.