Julianne Hough’s hair is one of the top styles of the season. Everyone seems to be chopping their locks in favor of a shoulder length bob or chin length. Speaking of Julianne’s hair, did you happen to catch the American Music Awards earlier tonight? Julianne Hough and musician/actress Rita Ora both looked fabulous on the red carpet! I loved Ms. Hough’s glam slicked back look and Rita Ora’s fabulous updo. Cutler/Redken stylist Jenny Balding dished on how you can recreate their looks just in time for holiday party season, winter wedding season and more!
“Rita Ora has a slightly different take on a simple topknot. It’s all in the detail, which really gave this style an original edge – her undercut was a great point of difference from the back.” – Jenny Balding
To recreate Rita Ora’s ultimate sleek topknot:
- Start by blow drying your hairline up and back to really help getting it smooth and sleek
- Use a sleek balm through the roots to tame and smooth the flyway’s. Cutler flyaway stick is the perfect product for this as the more you use the more it will hold and create sheen.
- Sweep into a really high ponytail that sits right on top of the crown.
- Use a straightening iron on the ponytail to create a super sleek finish.
- Mist each section first with a strong hold hairspray that won’t flake and delivers shine also. Redken Control Addict 28 hair spray is perfect for this.
- Wrap around the base of the ponytail, section by section until the last section of hair leave about 2″ of hair out to create Rita’s topknot.
- Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Hair Mist to achieve exceptional shine.
To recreate Julianne Hough’s slick back bob:
- Start by blow-drying all your hair back and off your face.
- Create a deep side part of whatever side that suits you best.
- Starting at the back use a gel that has hold and creates shine for best results.
- Take small sections at a time and apply the gel and comb through each section. Continue until you reach the front hairline a sweep back off your face also.
- It’s important to start at the back to make sure every strand is coated with gel to create the ultimate sleek style.