Are you on the hunt for the top fashion trends for spring 2013? If you’re looking to update your wardrobe, but aren’t sure if black and white or brights are where it’s at this season, you’ve come to the right place. Celebrity stylist Cristina Ehrlich joined me this week to dish on the top fashion trends we’ll all be coveting in the months to come, and will take you into summer.
Candace Rose: What are the hottest fashion trends and must haves for spring?
Cristina Ehrlich: “A few must haves for spring are:
- Stripes are back in a big way, and whether you try to play around with them on the top or on the bottom, you’re going to find that they are colorful and they are fun. They’re a really easy way to introduce color into your outfit, and I think that everybody should be open to at least trying them because they have a very timeless and chic look to them.
- Another trend for spring are bermuda shorts. Bermuda shorts are no longer just for the golf course or for day; they’re something that you’re going to see a lot of whether they’re done in a solid color or as you can see here (please see video) in a vibrant jewel tone floral print. It’s just a really fun way, and you can mix it up with white on the top, there’s even some texture here. So usually if you’ve got the print on the bottom, you’re going to go solid on top, but in this case since white is always such a big staple for summer and spring, you can see how this plays well with one another.
- Accessories are key. So whether you’re into bracelets or into necklaces or if you feel open to playing around with a scarf- a scarf, some people feel like they don’t know what to do with a scarf…just throw it on. It’s an afterthought, it’s an accent piece. It’s just a very easy way to give your outfit that little extra pop.
- Over here we have a beautiful tunic top in the purple and white. Print and color- this purple is vibrant, it’s exciting. Whether you want to wear this up on the shoulder or you want to pull it down, even though it’s a loose fitting top, it’s very feminine, it’s got a lot of movement and it’s flattering on all body types. Again, I think it’s the statement necklace that really completes the outfit. It has an island and bohemian feel to it, it’s the gold paired with the white and the crystals. This is a really easy outfit that’s going to take you through so many different events in the summer, whether you’re going out to lunch with the girls, you’ve got a beach party. It’s just a casual and fun, and easy way to throw yourself together.
- Next over here is tribal. The tribal print is a big trend. You can see here with this really well fit dress from Coldwater Creek that even though it’s a print, you’re still going to get the shape that we all want on our body. The way this has a band here and pulls in, it’s a really sweet little dress that you can do at work. You can easily accessorize it differently and take it it out at night. Here I’ve got it paired with a tortoise shell bracelet and another necklace which is showing you that you can really introduce even when you’ve got a print piece. You can introduce other textures and other colors to bring the whole thing alive. We’ve got it paired with what I believe is a real classic piece, and that we should all have which is a great denim jacket in our wardrobe.
You can really see from all four of these looks that the sky is the limit and that we’ve got prints and we’ve got colors and textures and accessories, and all of these things are really going to take you into the season with a lot of BING.”
Candace Rose: What are some of the top trends in shoes that will pair well with these outfits?
Cristina Ehrlich: “Well, I think the one thing important to note is if you’re going to go with a bermuda short, you can obviously do a colored flip flop for day. But if you want to take your short into the night, I would do a heel. It’s going to lengthen the leg, it’s going to make the silhouette feel a little more dressed up.
There’s a lot going on with a gladiator sandal, which are really fun. When you’re wearing a dress, you can do it in a tan or a black.
I think some women like to wear their ankle boots in the summer that are done in lighter colors that have grommeting or textures on them.
I think espadrilles too. All of these shoes are very classic.”
Candace Rose: Are there any other pieces that we should all know about?
Cristina Ehrlich: “I think what you’ve got here is a really nice range of things to really look for- from the stripes to the shorts to the florals to prints to accessories to necklaces and bangles. I think you’re really going to have a great season.”
Candace Rose: Do you have any additional tips or information you’d like to share with us?
Cristina Ehrlich: “Well, if you go onto ColdwaterCreek.com you’re going to find more tips. You’re going to find more about where your closest local store is, and really how to put your look together for spring and summer.”