With week 6 of the NFL season upon us, Olympic gold medalist, football fan and NFL wife Heather Mitts joined me yesterday to dish on delicious, healthy food and drink options for your next tailgate party! If you’d like to learn more about the food she mentioned, her favorite decor tips, or hear about the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team’s Fan Tribute Tour heading to a city near you, please visit: Olympic gold medalist Heather Mitts talks tailgating and U.S. Women’s National Team Fan Tribute Tour! Here are a few of the yummy recipes she talked about during our interview!
FEATURED COCKTAIL RECIPES
Skinnygirl Playbook Punch
1part of Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka
3 parts of apple juice/cider
.5 parts light rum
Apple slice for garnish
Mix ingredients in a shaker, and pour into a chilled tall glass. Garnish with an apple slice.
Skinnygirl Bloody Mary Blitz
2 parts Skinnygirl™ Cucumber Vodka
2 parts low-sodium tomato juice
Splash of fresh lemon juice
Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
Dash of hot sauce
Sprinkle of celery salt
Garnish with lime, cucumber and celery salt
Skinnygirl Red Zone
2 parts Skinnygirl™ Bare Naked Vodka
1 part club soda
1 part cranberry juice
Squeeze of lime
Pour over ice
Additional cocktail recipes:
Skinnygirl Quarterback Crush
1.5 parts Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka
6 parts orange juice
Add Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka in ice-filled glass and top with orange juice.
Skinnygirl Tackle Tonic
1 ½ parts Skinnygirl™ Bare Naked Vodka
2-3 parts diet tonic water
Pour over ice, garnish with a lime wedge
Skinnygirl Touchdown Twister
2 parts Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka
1.5 part lime soda water
Squirt of fresh grapefruit
Pour over ice or serve as martini
Skinnygirl Parking Lot Punch
1 ½ parts Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka
1 part pomegranate juice
6 parts club soda or sparkling water
Pour over ice. Garnish with an orange.
Skinnygirl Coin Toss Cooler
2 parts Skinnygirl™ Tangerine Vodka
½ apple, chopped
¼ orange, squeezed
Splash of apple juice or cider
Pour over ice, top with club soda
FEATURED FOOD RECIPES
Skinnygirl Sideline Skewers
Whole cherry tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Skewer a whole cherry tomato, a fresh basil leaf and a small chunk of fresh Mozzarella.
Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil before serving
First Down Dip
Fat-free refried beans
Baked tortilla chips
Mix fat-free refried beans with salsa and serve with baked tortilla chips
Perfect Spiral Salsa
1 medium avocado
diced 3/4 cup frozen corn
thawed 1/2 cup quartered grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Toss avocado, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
Overtime Oat-Cran Cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
Stir in the applesauce, vanilla and cranberries and mix until the batter begins to stick together. If too dry, add additional applesauce, one tablespoon at a time.
Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet (sprayed with cooking spray) 2 inches apart.
Bake for eight to nine minutes, or until golden brown. Cookies will still be soft when removed from the oven.
FEATURED DÉCOR TIPS
- Instead of a table cloth, use a plaid throw or quilt that features your team’s colors. Make sure they are washable!
- Show your team spirit by making a pennant to dress up your table. Download printing templates you can use over and over again, or design your own using fabric, paper and ribbon. This decoration can be used year after year and repurposed for at-home Game Day entertaining by simply hanging on the mantle.
- Swap out that boring plastic cooler and use a pretty galvanized metal bucket filled with ice to keep drinks and food cold.
- For anything non-perishable, a classic picnic basket is as beautiful as it is functional and makes for a pretty presentation once unloaded.
- Use a chalkboard menu to get your fellow fans excited about the tasty treats you have in the line-up.
- Short on seating and tired of playing musical chairs? Invest in some folding camp stools that are perfect for extra seating. Lightweight yet sturdy, they fold flat for easy transporting and storage.
- Serving kebabs? Choose a vase or basket to hold the skewers- just be sure to pick a container with a wide opening since kebabs are larger than flower stems.
- Mix up a tasty punch ahead of time and serve in a large drink dispenser that has a spigot for guests to serve themselves. The jug is decorative on its own and you can toss in some pre-cut seasonal fruit once you arrive to add color and extra flavor to your cocktail.
- Swap out the beer cans and red plastic cups for clear party cups for an effortless way to take your tailgate from bleak to chic.
- Dress up your drinks with colored straws and fruit garnish for a simple way to show team spirit.
- Use plastic ware designed to look like real china and silverware for a fashionable, affordable alternative to paper plates.
- Bring the bowl! Don’t just pass around an open bag of chips; use decorative bowls or baskets to class-up your table and make it easier for guests to serve themselves.
- Serving dip or salsa? Make it ahead of time and pack it in a sturdy mason jar with a lid for easy transporting.
- Serve food on large woven chargers, each lined with a dish towel or cloth napkin in your team’s colors. Line the chargers at home, then stack them and pack them in the car for quick retrieval.
- Package little bags of simple snacks for each of your guests. Roasted pumpkin seeds, pretzels, crackers, nuts or cookies in individual brown bags make for easy on-the-go munching.
- Serving sandwiches? Stick with bite-sized sliders wrapped in paper and tied with twine for a delicious snack that is perfectly portable!
- Set up a salsa/dip bar with a variety of dippers including tortilla chips, pita bread and fresh cut veggies. Include shredded cheese, guacamole and low fat sour cream with miniature cocktail cups so your guests can create their own layered creations.